What is ARTLIST…?
- …a database charting the development of contemporary Czech art in its various manifestations (artists, galleries, concepts, exhibitions, etc.) from the latter half of the 20th century onwards, with an emphasis on the period following the events of 1989. The aim is to be a free source of information for both specialists and the general public on a local and international level (the database is being systematically created in both Czech and English).
- …a non-profit project run by the Foundation for Contemporary Arts Prague (www.fcca.cz), established in 2006.
- …a hand-picked database. The presence of entries is decided by a specialist panel comprising art theoreticians and historians represented by an editorial board. Membership of the editorial board is limited to three years. Members of the first board were: Viktor Čech (independent critic and curator), Michal Koleček (curator, art historian and teacher at UJEP, Faculty of Art and Design), Karina Kottová (curator and director of Jindřich Chalupecký Award), František Kowolowski (artist, curator and dean of the University of Ostrava), Pavlína Morganová (curator, art historian and head of Academic Research Centre of the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague), Silvie Šeborová (critic and founder of the online critical magazine Artalk.cz)
Members of the second Artlist editorial board are:
- Marcel Fišer, historik umění a ředitel Galerie výtvarného umění v Chebu
- Johanka Lomová, historička umění a pedagožka Vysoké škole uměleckoprůmyslové v Praze
- Martin Mikolášek, kurátor a zakládající člen občanského sdružení Kunsthalle Ostrava, o.s.
- Terezie Nekvindová, historička umění působící ve Vědecko-výzkumném pracovišti Akademie výtvarných umění v Praze
- Tomáš Pospiszyl, historik umění, kurátor a pedagog působící v Centru audiovizuálních studií FAMU a vedoucí Katedry dějin a teorie umění na Akademii výtvarných umění v Praze
- Jan Zálešák, kurátor a teoretik přednášející na Fakultě výtvarných umění VUT v Brně
The contents of ARTLIST are created over a lengthy timeframe by project collaborators.
What ARTLIST is not:
- ARTLIST does not aim to be an encyclopaedia of contemporary Czech art, but more a signpost and progress report.
- ARTLIST is not “simply” an archive, it is a process too. We are sorry if you cannot find what you are looking for. It is possible that we are already working on the subject in question. Please be patient. ARTLIST is a non-profit project and has limited capacities.
What I should do if:
- I find a mistake in ARTLIST: click on “report error” in the upper left of the page or write to us at info@. artlist.cz
- I am an artist and would like to add information to my entry: write to us at info@. Our project will not survive without the assistance and support of artists. artlist.cz
- I want to nominate myself or another artist for inclusion in the database: write to us at info@. Your request will be evaluated by the editorial board at its very next meeting. Meetings are held at least twice a year. artlist.cz
- I believe there has been a breach of copyright. All the photographs and images used on ARTLIST are for educational and non-commercial purposes and their inclusion in the database does not involve any financial benefit to the database operators. If you believe that use of any visual material is illegal, please contact us at info@. artlist.cz
Our project is possible through kind support of Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, Prague City Council, State Cultural Fund of the Czech Republic and Praque 7 CD.